Talavera Municipal Club was opened in the mid 1930's.
The tennis club, orginally a private club situated in Talavera Terrace, was named Talavera by William Thomas Locke Travers.
Born in Ireland, as a young man he fought as a Spanish Legionnaire at Talavera in central Spain during the Carlist Wars (1835-1838).
Lawyer, politician and naturalist, he named Salamanca Road, Talavera Terrace and San Sebastion Road, all no doubt on recall of his experiences in Spain.
He was also one of a team which has a public reserve set aside for the Botanical Gardens. Travers Street is named after him.